The Alito 48
- Bob FertikWant to meet our members? Click 'Join' above!
- 5:00 pm: 18 Democrats betrayed all of us by voting with 55 goose-stepping Republicans to defeat the filibuster. We were betrayed by many Senators we worked very hard to elect. Call those Senators and share your anger (in a controlled way, of course) with their receptionists: Akaka (HI), Baucus (MT), Bingaman (NM), Byrd (WV), Cantwell (WA), Carper (DE), Dorgan (ND), Inouye (HI), Johnson (SD), Kohl (WI), Landrieu (LA), Lieberman (CT), Lincoln (AR), Nelson (FL), Nelson (NE), Rockefeller (WV), Salazar (CO)
- 4:15 pm: Ted Kennedy was passionate and inspirational - this will go into the history books. 15 minutes til showtime - keep calling!
- 3:44 pm: RawStory's John Byrne reports filibuster supporters are now in the "thirties." Durbin spokesman Joe Shoemaker says "Durbin and other Democrats aren't willing to give up the fight."
- 3:30 pm: The Gang of 14 went into closed-door meetings to stop our peasant uprising. Alito's personal trainer, Lindsay Graham, will lead the charge against a filibuster. How many of these media-adored "moderates" will vote to help Alito nuke the Constitution? (Alito opponents in italics) Republicans * John S. McCain III, Arizona * Lindsey O. Graham, South Carolina * John Warner, Virginia * Olympia Snowe, Maine * Susan M. Collins, Maine * R. Michael DeWine, Ohio * Lincoln Chafee, Rhode Island. Democrats * Joseph I. Lieberman, Connecticut * Robert C. Byrd, West Virginia * E. Benjamin Nelson, Nebraska * Mary Landrieu, Louisiana * Daniel Inouye, Hawaii * Mark Pryor, Arkansas * Ken Salazar, Colorado. Call the offices of all the anti-Alito Senators and tell them they must filibuster Alito or their vote against Alito is meaningless.
- 3:13 pm: Thanks to siun, we are moving Jim Jeffords (I-VT) into the "Kickass Caucus" (#23)
- 3:00 pm: After his kickass speech, Bob Menendez (D-NJ) joins the "Kickass Caucus" (#22)
- 2:42 pm: Thanks to Randwolfe, we are moving Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) into the "Kickass Caucus" (#21)
- 2:17 pm: Thanks to Randwolfe, we are moving Kent Conrad (D-ND) from the "Craven Caucus" to the "Traitor Caucus." Here is Conrad's idiotic statement, which we will use as Alito's Articles of Impeachment when he breaks his first promise to Conrad.
- 2:04 pm: Thanks to Thersites, we are putting Joe Lieberman (D-CT) in the "Craven Caucus" - we must turn him around!
- 2:01 pm: Thanks to Anjali Khosla, we are counting Mark Dayton (D-MN) as pro-filibuster (#20)
- 1:50 pm: Thanks to Real American for linking to a Las Vegas TV report that Sen. John Ensign (R-NV) was hospitalized early this morning after a serious car accident. We wish him a speedy but restful recovery. This makes it harder for Sen. Frist to get 60 votes for cloture today - he needs 9 Senators from our list below, not 8.
- 1:00 pm: Cablevision customers watching C-SPAN 2 watched Kerry morph into sexy Indian dancers selling mortages for at least two hours. Cablevision claims it was just a technical glitch - yeah right! Call Tom Garger, Director of Local Programming at 516-803-1378 and demand uninterrupted 24-hour coverage on all 3 C-SPAN channels!
- 12:50 pm: John Kerry is giving a magnificent speech on C-SPAN 2
- 12:35 pm: Jim Jeffords (I-VT) supports the filibuster! (#19)
- 12:30 pm: Contrary to earlier reports, Chafee is undecided on the filibuster - keep calling!
- 12:26 pm: Jeff Bingaman (D-NM) is in the "Gutless Caucus" opposed to Alito but also quietly opposed to the filibuster - we must turn him around!
- 12:12 pm: C-SPAN 2 is scrolling 56-35 for Alito on a final vote - but no tally on the filibuster. John Kerry will speak on the floor at 12:30.
- 11:45 am: Bill Nelson (D-FL) still opposes the filibuster - we must turn him around!
- 11:42 am: Tom Harkin will abstain, which is great! (#18)
- 10:55 am: AP's Jesse Holland is singing an entirely different tune: Kennedy leads final effort to block Alito. That means it's too close to call!!!! Kennedy offers the perfect filibuster sound-bite: "He is the wrong judge at the wrong time in the wrong place." Jeffords opposes Alito - but will he filibuster? Keep calling the undecideds!!!
- 10:35 am: joanneleon and tanya are gathering all of the feedback at DailyKos - we still have LOTS of undecided Senators to call!
- 9:18 am: Leahy supports the filibuster (#17)
- 8:45 am: Olympia Snowe is up this year too: 207-799-0221. She has always been supported by pro-choice groups like the Women's Campaign Fund (202-393-8164) and Republicans for Choice (703- 212-0890) - urge them to convince Snowe to oppose Alito.
- 7:45 am: Jim Baron says Lincoln Chafee (R-RI) will cast a crucial vote against the filibuster to placate the GOP, and then cast a meaningless vote against Alito to play his voters for suckers. We'll know for sure at Chafee's 10 am press conference - watch for Karl Rove standing behind the curtain. Chafee is in a tough election - his campaign phone is 401-921-1920.
- Baron says Jack Reed (D-RI) will vote for the filibuster (#16)
- 7 am: Mark Pryor (D-AR) opposes a filibuster because "there is not a smoking gun in his past." Well, we just found a SMOKING CANNON. Karl Rove's ho at the NY Times, David Kirkpatrick, reports Alito's nomination was entirely engineered by the treasonous Federalist Society - the same people who brought us "legal" torture and "legal" wiretapping - and is the culmination of a plan to push federal courts to the far right that began as a conspiracy at Yale in 1982. Three points: (1) Do Alito's Democratic supporters in the Senate - and the swing votes - know that Alito's nomination was engineered by the Federalist Society? (2) Did David Kirkpatrick tell Bill Keller about this before today, and if so, why did Keller withhold this crucial information from NY Times readers? Is he treating his readers as suckers yet again? (3) Let's take the fizz out the Federalist Society's champagne by launching a successful filibuster!
- 7 am: Vichy Democrats has a plan for this morning - let's pick up the phones!
- The man who must stop the filibuster is Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, a.k.a. Terri Schiavo's personal physician. Frist was on Meet the Press yesterday, where Tim Russert ripped him to shreds (courtesy of the Ostroy Report). Why should Democrats support this jerk on anything?
- Lots of great resources at the Alliance for Justice's Supreme Court Watch
- Today's best blogs: Bog Geiger, BuzzFlash, Armando, Thom Hartmann, Bev Conover, BooMan, Linda Starr, Gen. JC Christian, Alternet, Duke1676, Todd Gitlin, Paul Savoy...
- Bush is going to Nashville tomorrow - bring your "Filibuster Alito" signs to the protest!
Sunday Updates: (Scroll to bottom for Saturday's news)
- 7 pm: AP's Hope Yen claims the AP did its own canvass and found "at least 62" votes for cloture. I don't believe she actually verified her count with Senators this weekend - as opposed to just using my tally below, which relies on secondary sources - and I just emailed her to prove it by sending me the list. If she doesn't, she's a propagandist and a liar and I will demand a written apology from her Editor in Chief.
- 5:15 pm: Here are the campaign numbers for the other Senators who need Democratic money in 2006: Akaka 808-522-8972, Bingaman 202-314-3222, Byrd 202-546-9292, Cantwell 202-314-3225, Carper 202-546-0909/202-546-6916f, 202-314-3224/202-314-3235f, Kohl 414-276-5645, Lieberman 202-546-0474/202-546-0476f, Ben Nelson 202-546-8100/202-546-7493f, Bill Nelson 202-547-0010/202-547-3419f. Call repeatedly - if we really piss them off, maybe they'll abandon private financing and pass Clean Elections with Public Financing!
- 5 pm: Tanya explains the problem with - and importance of - NJ's progressive Senators, Frank Lautenberg and Bob Menendez: Alito is from NJ, and actually from Menendez's former Congressional District. While Lautenberg provided the Senatorial courtesy of introducing Alito at the hearings, he was up front about his disagreements so I'm not worried about him. However Menendez is a brand new (and hence unknown) Senator, so I am worried. We have major leverage with Menendez because he must run in November, and several Democrats (Rob Andrews, Frank Pallone, Rush Holt) would primary him if he failed to filibuster. So let's inundate his campaign at 201-271-1661 (press 2 for the Finance Director who has to ask loyal Dems for dough) and email@example.com. Also call newly-elected Gov. Jon Corzine, who appointed Menendez to his vacant seat: 609-292-6000
- 2 pm: WTF??? One week ago, Dick Durbin told Daily Southtown (IL) reporter Kristen McQueary he had 37 votes for a filibuster - all but 8 Senate Democrats. Why hasn't Durbin shared that list with us so we could identify for certain the "Alito 8," rather than trying to guess? And Armando asks the right question: "Have Kennedy and Kerry held those votes? Added?"
- 12:20 p.m.: Mark Pryor said he won't filibuster Alito because there's no "smoking gun." But there is one, as Adele Stan points out: either Alito lied to the Senate when he said he wasn't a member of Concerned Alumni of Princeton, or he lied to the Justice Department in 1985 when he said he was a member! He lied on one federal job application or the other - that's a smoking gun!
- 11:45 a.m: More good news: Sen. Biden told Wolf Blitzer he would vote for the filibuster (#15) - but just once, and then he'll vote against it. So I'll take him out of Filibuster Opponents - silent & scared, but I need to create a new caucus of one: the "Filibuster Flip-Flop Caucus," for Senators who will vote for the filibuster before they vote against it. I can't imagine Biden wants to spend much time in the "Filibuster Flip-Flop Caucus," so let's keep pounding him until he votes for it twice... thrice... as many times as it takes!
- 10:10 a.m: Good news and bad news: Sen. Obama told George Staphylococcus he will (reluctantly) support the filibuster (#14), but also that it would fail - without identifying which Democrats would cause it to fail, which would help us turn them around. Obama said he opposed "procedural maneuvers" and wished Democrats had framed the substantive issues better. Hey Obama - when a wide receiver drops a pass, he doesn't walk over to the other team's coach and forfeit the game! No, he goes back to the huddle and tells his quarterback to throw him the ball on the very next play and then he makes damn well sure he catches it. Your next play is tomorrow so get over your past mistakes and catch the goddamn ball by preventing Bill Frist from getting 60 votes! Then you'll have plenty of time to frame the filibuster debate as it drags on for day after day...
- 9:00 a.m.: Great news!! There is nothing new in today's NY Times or Pentagon Post or the AP about Alito. That means Harry Reid and the Senate Democrats have not unilaterally surrendered to Bush - yet. Stay tuned for the morning talk shows...
- There are many phone, fax, and email lists circulating, including the long list of local numbers below. I will try to figure out the best list for all of us to use today, since nearly every known voicemail box is full (hooray!!)
- Tomorrow (Monday) is the Big Day. Starting at 9:00 a.m., we must flood Congressional offices with calls - even shut down the Capitol switchboard.
- 20-odd Senators can't figure out what to do. With a hat-tip to Josh Marshall, I'm calling them the "Clueless Caucus" and tracking their statements at AlitoWaffleWatch
- On Saturday, Ted Kennedy held a conference call (I wasn't invited - hint, hint) and urged activists to target Senators Pryor, Lincoln, Cantwell, Murray, Baucus, Harkin, Levin, Bayh, Lautenberg, Menendez, and Lieberman. In addition, he said to keep the pressure on Republican Senators Snowe, Collins, Chafee, and Stevens. These Senators are all on our list below, so us activists are holding up our end of this team effort!
- Thanks to RawStory.com for their kind words about our humble efforts. Read the excellent blogs by Digby, BuzzFlash (everyone should subscribe to Buzz's email alerts), jasonwhat (brilliant!), Georgia10
- The NAACP supports a filibuster (news story) and so does the DLC - is this the dawning of the Age of Aquarius?
We need to stop George Bush from getting 60 Senators to end the filibuster on Monday at 4:30 p.m.
That means we must convince 41 Senators to either support a filibuster or stay away from the Senate on Monday, preferably by visiting maimed soldiers at Walter Reed Hospital.
Below is a list of 44 Democrats, 1 Independent, and 3 Republicans whose support is possible - the "Alito 48."
We will keep a tally below, relying on you to report back on your calls.
Crossed out namessupport the filibuster - don't call them
- Underlined names will be absent - which is good but keep calling them
- Bold names will probably vote against Alito, but oppose the filibuster - call them first! (Our info sources are numbered and linked)
- Regular names will probably vote against Alito, but have not declared their position on a filibuster - call them second!
- Italic names will vote for Alito and against the filibuster - call them third and try to convince them to change!
This is the latest tally:
|Abstain or Absent: 1||22||48||-|
|Filibuster opponent: 5+3||Alito supporter: 5||13||0||9|
Here are the "Filibuster 48" with their direct phone numbers. You can also use these toll-free numbers (and ask for the Senators by name): 888-355-3588 or 888-818-6641.
Ask the question clearly: will Senator X support John Kerry's filibuster of Judge Alito, or will (s)he oppose Kerry's filibuster?
We need a firm yes or no - be polite but persistent.
Post the results of your calls in the comments below.
The "Kickass Caucus" - Solid Filibuster Supporters who will Stand Up for What They Believe
Barbara Boxer (D- CA) , 202-224-3553 (1,)
Dianne Feinstein (D- CA) , 202-224-3841
Christopher J. Dodd (D- CT), 202-224-2823 (1,) Richard J. Durbin (D- IL) , 202-224-2152
Barack Obama (D- IL), 202-224-2854, fax: (202) 228-4260
John F. Kerry (D- MA) , 202-224-2742,
Edward M. Kennedy (D- MA)
Paul S. Sarbanes (D- MD), 202-224-4524
Debbie A. Stabenow (D- MI) , 202-224-4822
Mark Dayton (D- MN), 202-224-3244, fax: (202) 228-2186
Frank Lautenberg (D- NJ), 202-224-3224, fax: (202) 224-9707
Robert Menendez (D- NJ), 202-224-4744, fax: (202) 228-2197
Harry Reid (D- NV) , 202-224-3542,
Hillary Rodham Clinton (D- NY)
Charles Schumer (D- NY)
Ron Wyden (D- OR)
Jack Reed (D- RI), 202-224-4642, fax: (202) 224-4680
Patrick J. Leahy (D- VT), 202-224-4242, fax: (202) 224-3479
James M. Jeffords (I- VT), 202-224-5141
Russell D. Feingold (D- WI) , 202-224-5323
The "Absence Makes the Heart Grow Founder Caucus": Will Not Vote on the Filibuster Cloture, which is as good as supporting the filibuster
Tom Harkin (D- IA), 202-224-3254, fax: (202) 224-9369
The "Filibuster Flip-Flop Caucus": Will Vote For the Filibuster Before they Vote Against It
- Joseph R. Biden, Jr. (D- DE) , 202-224-5042
Wilmington Phone 302-573-6345 FAX 302-573-6351
Milford Phone (302) 424-8090 FAX (302) 424-8098
The "Clueless Caucus" - For Details visit AlitoWaffleWatch
- Blanche Lambert Lincoln (D- AR), 202-224-4843, fax: (202) 228-1371
Dumas, 870-382-1023 (phone), 870-382-1026 (fax)
Texarkana, 870-774-3106 (phone), 870-774-7627 (fax)
Little Rock, 501-375-2993 (phone), 501-375-7064 (fax)
Fayetteville, 479-251-1224 (phone), 479-251-1410 (fax)
Jonesboro, 870-910-6896 (phone), 870-910-6898 (fax)
- Thomas R. Carper (D- DE), 202-224-2441, fax: (202) 228-2190
Georgetown, 302-856-7690 (phone)
Dover, 302-674-3308 (phone)
Wilmington, 302-573-6291 (phone)
- Daniel K. Inouye (D- HI), 202-224-3934, fax: (202) 224-6747
Wailuku Maui, 808-242-9702 (phone), 808-242-7233 (fax)
Lihue Kauai, 808-245-4611 (phone), 808-246-9515 (fax)
Kaunakakai, 808-642-0203 (phone), 808-560-3385 (fax)
Honolulu, 808-541-2542 (phone), 808-541-2549 (fax)
Hilo, 808-935-0844 (phone), 808-961-5163 (fax)
Kealakekua, 808-935-0844 (phone), 808-961-5163 (fax)
- Tom Harkin (D- IA), 202-224-3254, fax: (202) 224-9369
Des Moines, 515-284-4574 (phone), 515-284-4937 (fax)
Cedar Rapids, 319-365-4504 (phone), 319-365-4683 (fax)
Davenport, 563-322-1338 (phone), 563-322-0417 (fax)
Dubuque, 563-582-2130 (phone), 563-582-2342 (fax)
Sioux City, 712-252-1550 (phone), 712-252-1638 (fax)
- Evan Bayh (D- IN), 202-224-5623
Indianapolis (317) 554-0750 Evansville (812) 465-6500 Fort Wayne (260) 426-3151 Hammond (219) 852-2763 Jeffersonville (812) 218-2317 South Bend (574) 236-8302
- Barbara A. Mikulski (D- MD), 202-224-4654, fax: (202) 224-8858
Salisbury Phone (410) 546-7711 FAX (410) 546-9324 Greenbelt Phone (301) 345-5517 FAX (301) 345-7573 (fax) Annapolis Phone (410) 263-1805 FAX (410) 263-5949 Hagerstown Phone (301) 797-2826 FAX (301) 797-2241 Baltimore Phone (410) 962-4510 FAX (410) 962-4760
- Olympia Snowe (R- ME), 202-224-5344, fax: (202) 224-1946
Auburn Phone (207) 786-2451 FAX (207) 782-1438
Augusta Phone (207) 622-8292 FAX (207) 622-7295
Bangor Phone (207) 945-0432 FAX (207) 941-9525
Biddeford Phone (207) 282-4144 FAX (207) 284-2358
Portland Phone (207) 874-0883 FAX (207) 874-7631
Presque Isle Phone (207) 764-5124 FAX (207) 764-6420
- Carl Levin (D- MI), 202-224-6221, fax: (202) 224-1388 - see notpoetry's ominous comment below
Grand Rapids, 616-456-2531 (phone), 616-456-5147 (fax)
Saginaw, 989-754-2494 (phone), 989-754-2920 (fax)
Escanaba, 906-789-0052 (phone), 906-789-0015 (fax)
Traverse City, 231-947-9569 (phone), 231-947-9518 (fax)
Lansing, 517-377-1508 (phone), 517-377-1506 (fax)
Warren, 586-573-9145 (phone), 586-573-8260 (fax)
Detroit, 313-226-6020 (phone), 313-226-6948 (fax)
- Max Baucus (D- MT), 202-224-2651, fax: (202) 224-0515
Billings, 406-657-6790 (phone)
Helena, 406-449-5480 (phone)
Great Falls, 406-761-1574 (phone)
Missoula, 406-329-3123 (phone)
Butte, 406-782-8700 (phone)
Kalispell, 406-756-1150 (phone)
Bozeman, 406-586-6104 (phone)
- Lincoln D. Chafee (R- RI), 202-224-2921, fax: (202) 228-2853
Providence Phone (401) 453-5294 Newport Phone (401) 845-0700
- Maria Cantwell (D- WA), 202-224-3441, fax: (202) 228-0514
Seattle Phone (206) 220-6400 FAX (206) 220-6404
Spokane Phone (509) 353-2507 FAX (509) 353-2547
Vancouver Phone (360) 696-7838 FAX (360) 696-7844
Richland Phone (509) 946-8106 FAX (509) 946-6937
Tacoma Phone (253) 572-2281 FAX (253) 572-5879
Everett Phone (425) 303-0114 FAX (425) 303-8351
- Patty Murray (D- WA), 202-224-2621, fax: (202) 224-0238
Everett, 425-259-6515 (phone), 425-259-7152 (fax)
Seattle, 206-553-5545 (phone), 206-553-0891 (fax)
Spokane, 509-624-9515 (phone), 509-624-9561 (fax)
Vancouver, 360-696-7797 (phone), 360-696-7798 (fax)
Yakima, 509-453-7462 (phone), 509-453-7731 (fax)
- Herb Kohl (D- WI), 202-224-5653, fax: (202) 224-9787
Appleton, 920-738-1640 (phone)
Eau Claire, 715-832-8424 (phone)
LaCrosse, 608-796-0045 (phone)
Madison, 608-264-5338 (phone)
Milwaukee, 800-247-5645 (phone)
- John D. Rockefeller, IV (D- WV), 202-224-6472, fax: (202) 224-7665
Fairmont, 304-367-0122 (phone), 304-367-0822 (fax)
Martinsburg, 304-262-9285 (phone), 304-262-9288 (fax)
Charleston, 304-347-5372 (phone), 304-347-5371 (fax)
Beckley, 304-253-9704 (phone), 304-253-2578 (fax)
[Filibuster Opponents - more details at AlitoTraitorWatch]
"The Gutless Caucus" - Filibuster Opponents who are Silent & Scared
- Bill Nelson (D- FL), 202-224-5274, fax: (202) 228-2183
Tallahassee, 850-942-8415 (phone), 850-942-8450 (fax)
West Palm Beach, 561-514-0189 (phone), 561-514-4078 (fax)
Tampa, 813-225-7040 (phone), 813-225-7050 (fax)
Jacksonville, 904-346-4500 (phone), 904-346-4506 (fax)
Coral Gables, 305-536-5999 (phone), 305-536-5991 (fax)
Ft. Myers, 239-334-7760 (phone), 239-334-7710 (fax)
Davie, 954-693-4851 (phone), 954-693-4862 (fax)
Orlando, 888-671-4091 (phone), 407-872-7165 (fax)
- Daniel K. Akaka (D- HI) (1,), 202-224-6361, fax: (202) 224-2126
Honolulu Phone (808) 522-8970 FAX (808) 545-4683
Hilo Phone (808) 935-1114 FAX (808) 935-9064
- Mary Landrieu (D- LA) (1,), 202-224-5824, fax: (202) 224-9735
New Orleans Phone (504) 589-2427 FAX (504) 589-4023
Baton Rouge Phone (225) 389-0395 FAX (225) 389-0660
Shreveport Phone (318) 676-3085 FAX (318) 676-3100
Lake Charles Phone (337) 436-6650 FAX (337) 439-3762
- Byron L. Dorgan (D- ND) (1,), 202-224-2551, fax: (202) 224-1193
Bismarck Phone 701-250-4618 FAX 701-250-4484
Grand Forks Phone 701-746-8972 FAX 701-746-9122
Fargo Phone 701-239-5389 FAX 701-239-5112
Minot Phone 701-852-0703 FAX 701-838-8196
- Jeff Bingaman (D- NM), 202-224-5521, fax: (202) 224-2852
Santa Fe, 505-988-6647 (phone)
Las Vegas, 505-454-8824 (phone)
Albuquerque, 505-346-6601 (phone)
Las Cruces, 505-523-6561 (phone)
Roswell, 505-622-7113 (phone)
The "Craven Caucus" - Selling their Filibuster Vote to Radical Right Theocrats like James Dobson
- Joseph I. Lieberman (D- CT), 202-224-4041, fax: (202) 224-9750
Hartford Phone (860) 549-8463 FAX (860) 549-8478
- Mark Pryor (D- AR), 202-224-2353, fax: (202) 228-0908
Little Rock Phone (501) 324-6336 FAX (501) 324-5320
- Ken Salazar (D- CO) , 202-224-5852, fax: (202) 228-5036
Denver Phone (303) 455-7600 FAX (303) 455-8851
Colorado Springs Phone (719) 328-1100 FAX (719) 328-1129
Fort Collins Phone (970) 224-2200 FAX (970) 224-2205
Fort Morgan Phone (970) 542-9446 FAX (970) 542-3088
Pueblo Phone (719) 542-7550 FAX (719) 542-7555
Durango Phone (970) 259-1710 FAX (970) 259-9789
Grand Junction Phone (970) 241-6631 FAX (970) 241-8313
Alamosa Phone (719) 587-0096 FAX (719) 587-0098
The "Traitor Caucus" - Alito Supporters
Bismarck Phone (701) 258-4648 FAX (701) 258-1254
Fargo Phone (701) 232-8030 FAX (701) 232-6449
Grand Forks Phone (701) 775-9601 FAX (701) 746-1990
Minot Phone (701) 852-0703 FAX (701) 232-6449
Bismarck Phone (701) 258-4648 FAX (701) 258-1254
- Ben Nelson (D-NE) 202-224-6551, fax: (202) 228-0012
Omaha Phone (402) 391-3411 FAX (402) 391-4725
Lincoln Phone (402) 441-4600 FAX (402) 476-8753
Chadron Phone (308) 430-0587
Scottsbluff Phone (308) 631-7614
- Tim Johnson (D- SD) , 202-224-5842, fax: (202) 228-5765
Aberdeen Phone (605) 226-3440 FAX (605) 226-2439
Rapid City Phone (605) 341-3990 FAX (605) 341-2207
Sioux Falls Phone (605) 332-8896 FAX (605) 332-2824
- Robert C. Byrd (D- WV) , 202-224-3954, fax: (202) 228-0002
Charleston Phone 304-342-5855 FAX 304-343-7144
- Ted Stevens (R- AK) , 202-224-3004
- Welcome Laura Flanders fans - I love Laura's show!!!
- Watch the Young Turks filibuster, with special guests Thom Hartmann, Peter B. Collins, and Brad Friedman - this should inspire a real filibuster!
- Senators are freaking out! They've all turned off their DC phones and their voicemails are full. Let's try their state offices (details coming) and get ready to start calling DC again at 9:00 a.m. on Monday! In the meantime try their local offices and fax lines using this page.
- Bush is freaking out! He used his Saturday radio address to demand an "upperdown" vote, exactly 91 days after denying Harriet Miers her "upperdown" vote! Maybe he's reading his hopeless polls?
- The corporate media whores are freaking out!
- Pro-filibuster additions: Paul Sarbanes (#13)
- Three Democratic men told us to go fuck ourselves: Mark Pryor, Ken Salazar, and Kent Conrad. I'm tracking their statements at AlitoTraitorWatch
- 20-odd Senators can't figure out what to do. With a hat-tip to Josh Marshall, I'm calling them the "Clueless Caucus" and tracking their statements at AlitoWaffleWatch
- Read these great blogs from BuzzFlash, John Nichols, Huffington Post and BradBlog. And for off-topic fun, don't miss Bob Geiger's Saturday Cartoons.
- Through Vatican spokesman Cardinal Armando, Pope Markos I blessed the Kossack peasant uprising, and there is much joy in KosVille!
- DNC chair Howard Dean told reporters in Rhode Island on Friday, "we have to do whatever we have to do. I don’t have a say in whether we have a filibuster but I am very supportive of what Sen. Kennedy and Sen. Kerry are doing." Great Howard - then call the Clueless Caucus!
- Here is Bob Geiger's great concise summary of Democratic statements opposing Alito